How Can I Increase my App Downloads with Mobile Marketing
So, you have just created your App and published in the AppStore. You know it has a lot of potential, and people are going to love it… however, you are not seeing the results you expected. Don’t panic, with Mobile Marketing you can boost the number of downloads for your App.
In this article we will teach you how to increase your numbers in App Store using a App Store Optimization.
What is App Store Optimization?
App Store Optimization (ASO) is a process that will help you achieve a higher rank in the app store search results and top chart rankings. This optimization is similar to the search engine optimization (SEO) for websites that helps you rank in the first results in Google.
App Store Optimization Tips to Boost App Downloads
There are 5 Mobile Optimization Tips you can use on your play store listings that will help you boost your download rates.
- App Keywords
- App Icon Design
- App Screenshots
- App Preview Video
- App Ratings and Reviews
1. APP KEYWORDS
One of the best techniques for boosting your rankings is the use of keywords. These will help you rank for terms that are ralated to your App and improve your presence in your category. These can be searched and selected using tools like Keyword Suggestions (only for iOS app developers) and Übersuggest.
Once you selected your keywords you can optimize your App using them in the following elements:
A) App Title Keywords
Using keywords in your title can result in up to a 10.3% boost in rankings according to MobileDevHQ.
The keywords in the title are important because Google and Apple’s search algorithms scan the app name when a user performs a keyword search in the app stores.
To optimize the title follow the next tips:
- Format: Keep the actual brand name short, and append it with a few keywords preceded by a dash or a semicolon.
- Length: Keep your name to a maximum of 30 characters in iOS 11 and 50 characters in Google Play Store.
B) App Subtitle Keywords
If your app is in the iOS App Store you can use the subtitle feature on your App. This is an important space to use keywords and communicate the value of your app, but you will have to keep it under 30 characters. So make sure to use only the important keywords and to not repeat the ones you already used in the title.
C) App Description Keywords
You need to make sure to add keywords in the App Description, and a bit more in Google Play Store since Google pulls keywords from your description. Also follow the next tips:
- First sentences: Make sure you make the most of the 252 characters you have in this space by making it concise and attention-grabbing. Avoid blank lines and interrupted sentences. Focus on your app’s values, instead of features, and don’t forget to include a call-to-action text.
- Expanded Description: This space is ideal for highlighting the features of your app. Make it easy to read by the use of bulleted lists. Also list out social proofs, awards or honorable mentions of your app if applicable, and don’t forget to include your app’s social media links too.
- Length: The ideal length is between 589 and 3385 characters.
2. APP ICON DESIGN
Another factor that will define your presence in front of other competitors and that will boost your downloads is the App Icon. Make sure you keep in mind the following recommendations:
- Keep your design simple and eye-catchy.
- Do not cram the small space with many items or words.
- Make sure your icon will still look good when it is scaled down to the smallest size required by App Stores.
- Make sure it looks good against light and dark background.
- Make sure your icon is different from your competitor’s to avoid brand confusion.
- Try using contrasting colors, different shapes or adding a frame.
3. APP SCREENSHOTS
The App Screenshots you add on your App need to tell users why they should love your app. Make sure you follow the next few tips:
- Show your strongest messages in the first two screenshots because they make the fist impression.
- Adding short caption texts on your screenshots can help, but make sure they are on a clean background.
- Avoid login, registrations, purchase forms, ads and even “Welcome” screen in your screenshots.
- Keep the screenshots vertical. The users can see more screenshots on the narrow screens when the screenshots are vertical.
4. APP PREVIEW VIDEO
A good preview video of your app can boost install rates by more than 23% according to StoreMaven. Here are some of the essential elements of an effective app marketing video:
- Use the first 5 seconds to grab the viewer’s attention
- Focus on the best features, instead of all features
- Your video should make sense even with the sound turned off
- Include a call-to-action
5. APP RATINGS AND REVIEWS
Ratings and reviews have a great impact on your app downloads and the exposure of your App in App Searches. In order to boost your downloads you need an average rating of 4-stars or above.
So make sure you ask for reviews at the perfect time by using event triggered messages or real time personalization when the user is likely to be very pleased with the experience.
Also reply to app reviews and feedback to show that you care about your users. Do it immediately following a major release of your app, and later on, try prioritizing reviews that mention technical issues, fixing the issue and letting them know that your update addresses their concerns.
The 5 previous ASO Tips will help you boost your dowload rates and will improve your rankings in App Stores, but none of this is going to be useful if you don’t monitor your results and regularly tweak your app over a lenght of time to keep it optimized.
You might also like: